Here is a collection of links to information about FIPS 140-2:
A software engineer’s guide to encryption: How not to fail (written by Luther Martin of HPE) provides a good overview of the importance of FIPS 140-2.
The FIPS 140-2 Publication has some good introductory material.
It is easy to get bogged down attempting to read start-to-finish. I suggest that you begin by quickly reading the following sections:
- Section 1 – Overview
- Section 1.1 – Security Level 1
- Section 3 – Functional Security Objectives
The CMVP landing page addresses the following topics:
- What is the purpose of the CMVP?
- What is the applicability of CMVP to the US government?
- Use of Unvalidated Cryptographic Modules by Federal Agencies and Departments
We are happy to be a resource to you. Please contact mark@KeyPair.us
KeyPair Consulting – expert guidance to meet your FIPS 140-2 goals